December 29, 2004

So, a RSS Reader cannot be spammed - or can it?

One of the big advantages of using RSS is eliminating spam - right?

Another is the fact that the user is in control by subscribing ONLY to feeds she/he wants to - right?

No unwanted messages - right?

From what I've just experienced I'm tempted to say WRONG to all three questions.

Earlier this evening I refreshed my RSS-reader and saw hundreds of the strangest news-snippets being displayed.

Nothing (as per usual) from the SBI! forum and nothing from any of the other feeds that I have set up. All my chosen feeds have been working 100% until now. Instead, I had lots of UNWANTED feeds. (do we call this spam as well?)
I checked the channels and all my channels were gone - replaced by feeds that were definitely not set up by me.

WHAT IS GOING ON??? (Sorry for shouting but this, I think, is worth shouting about)

Here's a screen dump - for those who need proof.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Could this be spy ware?

Any ideas?

Any one?

No comments:

Post a Comment