December 28, 2004

Can RSS get me listed in Yahoo for free?

My RSS feed on www.perfect-party-ideas.com is up and working. Go check it out! Thanks to Marc Liron's Free Mini RSS Guide I did this in under an hour!

I've also setup my free My Yahoo! account and submitted this feed to it. I found Arun Agrawal's free RSS Feed Steps article very helpful in explaining how (and why!) to do this.

Why you may ask?

To get one's site reviewed by Yahoo one has to pay $299. Then, if they like the site, they'll spider, index and list it. If they think it isn't good enough ... bye bye $299! So, being listed in Yahoo is NOT guaranteed. (I've since posting this learned that there is a Yahoo Directory where one pays to be listed and a Yahoo Search whose slurp (spider) will find a web site by following inbound links to the site. This can take months and can't really be "controlled" - using RSS is a way of getting indexed quickly and I control this by initiating the RSS feeds. Anne-Marie 7 Jan 2005)

But, there is a way in, and its FREE.

Yahoo has been known to spider your site and add all these pages to its index within 48 hours. It also adds your RSS feed to its RSS directory.

Great if it works - I'll wait and see.

Arun goes further in his article explaining how to announce your RSS feed to the world by submitting to the RSS directories. He lists a few in his resources section but I found this Best Blog Directory And RSS Submission Sites very helpfull. Check it out for yourself.

Great stuff - what do you say?

Kind Regards

Anne-Marie Killer

No comments:

Post a Comment