January 10, 2005

There is no doubt - Yahoo's Slurp loves Blogs!

I've received some feedback on my blog post Can RSS get me listed in Yahoo for free?.

In the feedback this webmaster, Claire, mentioned that she

  • only set up a blog similar to this one,

  • did NOT have a RSS feed on her web site and

  • the blog contained links to different web site pages.



These web site pages were all quickly spidered and indexed by Slurp.

Now this is VERY SIGNIFICANT! ... and worth shouting about.

I thought is was my RSS feed on my web site that got my web site spidered and indexed by Yahoo in less than 48 hours.

This feedback says that it was a blog, (hosted off site like this one) with links to specific pages on her web site, that got those pages spidered and indexed.

Let's interpret these results:

  • This says that one does not need a RSS feed on one's web site to get quickly spidered and indexed by Yahoo.


  • Any one, without any technical knowledge of creating a XML file for feeds for their web sites, can start a blog with links to specific pages on their web site, get visited by slurp (Yahoo's spider) and not only the blog gets listed(interesting but not primarily what this is about) but also all the web pages linked to in one's blog are listed! (which is what everyone wants)

So, guys and girls who would love to have slurp visit and do its stuff - what are you waiting for?

Start blogging!

Regards

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the RSS feed on one's site is not important. This is great for generating traffic. But to get into Yahoo (and b.t.w. Inktomi, MSN, Fast and Altavista) one needs a blog with links to one's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment